Background

Monday, December 8, 2008

I seem to have been really preoccupied with age-related issues lately. I have developed a huge respect for my feet, since I figure they have carried me about to lots of places in the last almost 58 years, and I think it is totally amazing that they are still in such good shape - even though they get dry and scaly sometimes, and I get a callous on my toe.

And then I got to thinking about my eyes and how much seeing they have done for me int he last 58 almost years. And being the mathematician that I am I wanted to get my calculuator out and actually figure out how many steps my feet had taken, and how many hours or how many images my eyes had seen for me. And then I got to thinking about my heart, and how many beats it had beaten over the past 58 almost years (which would be about 60 times a minute for 60 minutes times 24 hours times 365 days times 58 years (60*60*24*365*58 =1,829,088,000 = 1 billion eight hundred twentynine million eighty eight thousand beats) and I just became overwhelmed by the fact that the human body is able to keep on going for so long.

No comments: