Background

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Shrimp, mango and black beans

This is one of my favorite recipes, one that I modified from a vegetarian one - it's just the same, except I add shrimp. It's adapted from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven recipe book, from the recipe Black Beans in Mango Sauce.



1 1/2 T olive oil

2 c. minced red onion

1 T minced garlic

1 3-in jalapeno, seeded and minced

1 1/2 T minced fresh ginger

1 /12 t. cumin seeds

1 1/2 t. salt

2 - 3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed 6 T fresh lime juice

2 large ripe mangoes, chopped

resh ground black pepper to taste

Minced fresh cilantro

Shrimp

(I make a half recipe and it works just fine. I serve it over rice)



Heat oil, add 1 3/4 c. onion, the garlic, chile, ginger, cumin seeds and salt. Saute at medium for 3 minutes.

Turn heat down, and add black beans and half the lime juice (I add uncooked shrimp at this point. if I use cooked shrimp I add it later). Saute 5 minutes until heated through. Remove from heat. Add remaining lime juice and half the chopped mango (last time I just added all the mango). Stir. Grind some black pepper, then cover and let stand for about 15 minutes to let sauce develop.

Serve warm, or at room temperature, or cold, topped with remaining red onion and mango, and cilantro. I serve warm over rice.

2 comments:

Nina said...

Looks like one I'll have to try. It'll remind me of Costa Rica and the monkeys dropping their mangos on the roof!!

vickybu said...

Guess what will be for dinner at our house tomorrow night, assuming I can find mangoes at the grocery store? Sounds so yummy! And it does sound like Costa Rica... I wonder if I can find a soundtrack of howler monkeys on the 'net somewhere!