Hi everyone! I arrived safely in Thailand two weeks ago now (has it really been that long?!), and after recharging for a couple of days and visiting with Kbaba and family, G'pa and I set off on the train to Cambodia. We rode the train from Bangkok to the Thai-Cambodia border. It took about 6 hours and cost 48 baht for each ticket - thats' about $1.50! Once safely across the border (we had to take a tuk-tuk and then walk through the checkpoint, and then another minibus) we got to the big bus depot and found our bus to Siem Reap. It took about another 4 or so hours to get to Siem Reap by bus. then another tuk-tuk to our hotel and we collapsed! The trip was tiring but enough of an adventure that we rather enjoyed it!
The next day began or three day tour around the many ancient temples in the area, with the most famous being Angkor Wat. Cambodia - and especially Siem Reap, the town near to Ankor Wat, is an interesting place. It still has a French influence with several french type restaurants and lots of fresh baguettes and bread available to supplement the rice and noodle dishes. Although the official Cambodain currency is the riel, dollars are accepted everywhere and widely used. You hardly need to have local currency.
After our three days in Siem Reap we went (by bus again) to Phnom Penh. We spent two days there visitng temples, museums, the Royal Palace (and the killing fields, ugh!) and also taking a short cruise on the Mekong River. Phnom Penh is a big bustling city and we had had enough of crowds and people. So after two days we hopped another bus for the southern Cambodian city of Sihanoukville. This is definitely a beach town and I regret that we did not have more time to spend there. We arrived about midday and sat on the beach, drank beer and swam, and chatted with the locals until sundown. Next morning we were on the bus again back to Thailand - a 9 hour trip this time! with a change of bus at the border. We had a fast and furious ride from the Thai border to Pattaya in a small minibus. I think the driver was in a race to get somewhere and was definitely late! He was a crazy driver. But we arrived in Pattaya - a Thai beach resort just east of Bangkok and met up with Kbaba and family for a relaxing weekend at the beach there. We have had mostly good weather - a few rather heavy rainshowers but nothing prolonged. Good news, since the rainy season is fast approaching.
We are now in our hotel room relaxing and catching up. I plan a "spa day" tomorrow. I will have the works at a local place where I had a great massage last week.
Hope all is well out there in the rest of the world. If I find some energy perhaps I'll post some photos tomorrow.
1 comment:
Great to hear from you and that you're having a good time. We miss you, but know that you are having fun. See you in June.
Post a Comment